1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Earned a Master’s Degree, lived in Europe, went on a series of terrifying rollercoasters and was decorated by the European Space Agency, figured-out, in broad terms, what I want to do with my life.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did indeed finish my Master’s Degree and re-evaluate my life, but I was not able to do the others. No resolutions for this year, I think.
3. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
Probably sitting around at home.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year.
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada, Germany, France, Luxembourg, and the United States.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Independence, security, and electrolysis treatments.
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 25th, the day I finally finished my Master’s Degree.
8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year?
It is a toss-up between earning a Master’s degree and academically out-performing a hundred literal rocket scientists.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Being unable to find a job after my return from Europe.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I threw my back out terribly in late-August, and spent two weeks hobbling around the house on a stick like an old hag.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Time Reborn, by Lee Smolin.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Tuition, rent, and various bills.
13. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Searching fruitlessly for jobs.
16. What was your favorite TV program?
17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, actually, though I’ve met a number of people to whom I am not exactly partial.
18. What was the best book you read?
19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Leonardo Da Vinci’s Viola Organista.
20. What was your favorite film of this year?
Thor: The Dark World.
21. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I invited all of my friends out to for Thai food.
22. What kept you sane?
Finishing my Master’s program.
23. Who did you miss?
All of the friends I met during grad school.
24. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned.
When in doubt, assume that you’re brilliant.
25. What does 2014 hold for me?
Hopefully some financial security, a reunion with my friends, and a return to academia.