Time, that is, to fill out my annual End-of-Year Meme!
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Came-out as transgender and started living as a woman! Also, broke-up with my girlfriend, got into a legal battle with a psychotic bully, spent a month trying to shoehorn didactic lessons into my daily experiences, seriously contemplated suicide and derived an effective sonic geometry conformal to a black hole in Anti-de Sitter space time.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year, I resolved to write at least four hundred words a day, exercise for at least half an hour a day outside of cycling to and from work, earn $100 a week through tutoring, and keep a tight reign on my personal finances. I accomplished the writing one (although it was primarily in this blog), did the exercise one about half the time, and utterly failed at the financial ones.
3. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
No bloody clue.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Oh yes. Both of my neighbours and my dear cat Cinnamon.
5. What countries did you visit?
None, other than Canada.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012
Sanity, breasts and a goddamn diploma. And money.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 28th: the day I came out. Also: June 24th, the Night of Blood and Panic.
8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year?
Coming out and finishing my fucking goddamn thesis.
9. What was your biggest failure?
That I wasn’t able to make a relationship with Nominatissima work.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I cut up my hands very badly while dismantling my ex-landlady’s over. I suffered severe anxiety for most of the year. I was suicidally depressed in early November.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and Grad School.
13. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Not a song; just a single note, held forever, which represents the writing of my fucking goddamn thesis.
Also, on a happier note, Shania Twain’s Man, I Feel Like a Woman!
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
16. What was your favorite TV program?
Game of Thrones.
17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Yes; my ex-landlady.
18. What was the best book you read?
None of them really stood out this year; I’m afraid that I was overwhelmingly consumed by the writing of my fucking goddamn thesis and had very little time to read (which probably conrtibuted to my depression). I am honestly going to say (laugh at me if you like) that the best single book I had time to read this year was Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock, for its novel view of time travel.
19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
20. What was your favorite film of this year?
I’m honestly going to say it Wreck-it Ralph, but there were many good ones this year.
21. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 25. I saw a movie and went to supper. Unfortunately, I had to do so as a boy because Nominatissima’s mother had decided to invite herself.
22. What kept you sane?
Nothing. Only mindfulness exercises have allowed me to partially manage the overwhelming waves of anxiety which periodically overpower my ability to think straight.
23. Who did you miss?
Honestly, I’m going to say the landlady that I had when I first started grad school.
24. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned.
Your life must be lived on your own terms; the alternative is absolutely intolerable.
25. What does 2013 hold for me?
With God in Heaven as my witness, I WILL walk across the fucking goddamn stage and grab that fucking goddamn diploma out of the fucking goddamn hands of the fucking goddamn President of the fucking goddamn university, and finally be able to get on with my fucking goddamn life!
So yeah: 2012: Maybe not the best year on record.